Monday, 27 February 2017

Living in Halls

Hi everyone!

How are we all? Sorry for the inactivity again, I've been really busy lately with university and adjusting to moving out. My blog is also going through a makeover which will be revealed very soon so this post is just to keep you interested!
 Speaking of university, thats kind of what this post is about... moving out for university. For anyone that doesn't know, in September 2016, I moved from Glasgow to Aberdeen (about 3 hours apart) to study Fashion Management at Robert Gordon University.  For anyone, moving out of your family home is a big, scary experience and the thought of living completely independently - buying all your own meals, cooking for yourself, etc is terrifying. I was no acceptation. I was so nervous to move out and into my new flat with new flatmates but I can promise you it has been one of the best experiences of my life!

For anyone that knows Aberdeen, I'm staying in Woolmanhill Flats which is an RGU student residence. Woolmanhill has a reputation of being a bit grim and party central. Yes, its not as nice as living at home and it is relatively basic and looks gross from outside but I love my flat. You can make the best of anything and Woolmanhill feels relatively homey to me and my flatmates. As for the party central... it has 700 1st year students living in it. Its going to be loud but its also a great way to meet people and make new friends.  Luckily for me, I get on really well with my flatmates which has made moving out feel a lot easier. I live with 7 other 18 year old girls and although you may have thought this would lead to bitchiness and fallouts we actually all manage to get along relatively smoothly. I think the most important thing to remember when moving out is these people are not your family. They aren't going to tolerate your mess in the living room, your unwashed dishes in the kitchen and your inability to take the bins out.  If you clear up after yourself and give each other space then there is absolutely no reason you can't all get on well,

The social life for people who move out always seems to be so much better than those who stay at home. For me, when I compare friends who moved out with friends who stay at home, in the majority of cases my friends who moved out have found it so much easier to settle in and meet new people. I think this is probably due to the fact that we have thrown ourselves in at the deep end - you can't just go home at the end of your lecture and hang about with your school friends. Don't get me wrong, school friends are important but its more important to put effort into meeting people and that is so much easier when you move out.  I've had people who have stayed at home asking me 'How did you know so many people when you started university?' I didn't. I met everyone from my residencies and its easier to bond with people when you know everyone is in the exact same boat - alone and wanting to make friends. When you move out or even just start uni, don't worry about what people will think. Just be smiley and approachable and you will do well.

I also want to mention homesickness in this post. Its normal, okay guys. Everyone gets it at some point even if they don't seem to or say they don't. Its so easy to compare your experience to all your school friends who are posting it all over snapchat and Instagram. In reality though, they're probably having the same experiences and emotions as you are and are just trying to make it seem super cool to make themselves feel better. Although you are away from everyone, remember that your family and friends are only a phone call away and you will still see them loads! and I promise you, after the first month you will be totally fine and loving life. Take it from me - I had tonsillitis 3 times during my first semester including the first week and I've made it through!

Honestly, I would 100% recommend moving out into halls for your first year university. The independence you gain and experience is unique and incredible. If you are worried about it not feeling like home, it probably won't at the beginning. Take some photos or something from home with you, decorate your room amazingly and get excited about only being responsible for yourself and you'll get used to it. People expect you to make mistakes when you are 18 and living alone for the first time, it's okay to ask for help. That's why its so much easier to move out for the first time when you're 18 than when you are 22 and everyone expects you to know what to do.  So if you are wavering between moving out and staying at home, please MOVE OUT. You will not regret it!!

To finish I have just attached some photos of my university room which I actually really like. If you have any questions or worries I can help with about moving out, freshers or starting uni please leave them in the comments and I will answer them as best as I can!

Much love,
Cat x












4 comments:

  1. I was so homesick when I moved out! Haha

    http://www.myclusterofthoughts.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everyone is! But it's worth it in the long run!!

      Delete
  2. This is all so true! I'm in my final year of uni now but remember moving out and into halls like it was yesterday- it's hard but being in the same situation as everyone else makes it easier! I don't think the uni experience is any where near the same when you still live at home!

    http://taradaniella.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree, don't think you can be completely independent until you move out!

      Delete